- Text originally written for the DEFENSE Institute (2014)
The reasons for buying firearms are infinite. However, among these countless motivations, some stand out for their relevance or frequency of being mentioned.
- Better to have and not need than to need and not have.
- Better to have a gun in hand than a police officer on the phone.
- Studies suggest that societies with more armed citizens tend to be more peaceful.
- Studies suggest that societies with more armed citizens are less corrupt.
- Guns save lives. For every case of suicide, homicide, or firearm accident, an estimated 13 lives are defended with the same tool.
- Armed citizens are, ultimately, the only force capable of solidifying democracy.
- The collection of firearms is a fundamental practice of historical preservation, as well as an incredibly enjoyable hobby.
- Armed women are not raped.
- An armed country is not invaded.
- Sport shooting is healthy, strengthens good friendships, and even family bonds.
What are you waiting for?